Dummies Guide to Biggest superhero villain Thanos and the Infinity Stones of Avengers Infinity War
Avengers: Infinity war will see the all-time favourite superheroes Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, and more of Marvel’s heroes as they team up against a colossal villain, Thanos.
But who exactly is Thanos?
Thanos made an appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies since 2012’s ‘The Avengers. ’ He was born with a deformity which gave him an oversized body because of that, he has a big grudge against the universe. In Avengers: Infinity War, he will be seen obsessing on killing, death, power and obtaining the Infinity Stones.
Over the years and through the movie, Thanos has been slowly collecting the six Infinity Stones which when combined, he’ll be virtually unstoppable. Thanos is being described as one of the biggest Marvel villains created and he is obsessed with three things: killing, death, and power.
Thanos has a lot of powers…. he has every ability endowed to them including super strength, endurance, and agility. Marvel describes his skin as being virtually impenetrable. It can withstand “heat, cold, electricity, radiation, toxins, aging, and disease. Thanos can also blast “cosmic energy” from his eyes and hands. If all of that isn’t enough, Thanos was cursed by death to be immortal so he can’t die.
In the comics, the Mad Titan is widely known for his appearance in “The Infinity Gauntlet” storyline, where his main objective is to collect six power gemstones known as Infinity Stones to make him all powerful.
But what are these stones, why does Thanos want them? Here’s a quick cheat sheet to explain it all!
- TESSERACT (SPACE STONE):As seen in both Captain America(used by Red Skull) and The Avengers (used by Loki), the Tesseract is a blue stone capable of teleporting anything from one point in the universe to the other. Last we saw, Thor took it back to his homeworld of Asgard at the end of The Avengers.
- AETHER (REALITY STONE):The Aether is a red floating liquid thing that attaches to a host and… makes him or her stronger? Its only appearance in the movie so far has been Thor: The Dark Worldas “thing Natalie Portman has and the bad guy really wants.” By the end of the film, it was given to The Collector (aka “blond Benicio Del Toro”) for safekeeping
- ORB (POWER STONE):This is the stone that actually wrecked The Collector’s home in Guardians of the Galaxy. The purple stone gives the wielder incredible power — superhuman strength shooting beams of purple destruction, and possibly wiping out all organic life from a planet just by touching the surface. Here, it’s “thing Chris Pratt has that bad guys want.” By the end of GotG, the Power Stone was being housed by the intergalactic police known as Nova Corps.
- LOKI’S SCEPTER / VISION (MIND STONE):Loki’s blue-glowing sceptre, it turns out, housed a yellow infinity stone. As seen in The Avengers, the mind stone lets the owner control the minds of others. It can also transform a fleshy red robot into Paul Bettany aka Vision.
- SOUL STONE:Not yet seen in films, the Soul Stone of Marvel comics is reportedly a powerful thing that can trap souls inside another world.While five of the six Infinity Stones have been revealed, the Soul Stone isn’t one of them
- TIME STONE:The most recently revealed Infinity Stone, featured in Doctor Strange, the Time Stone is first spotted inside the sorcerer training facility known as the Kamer-Taj. Doctor Strange winds up wearing and using the Time Stone in a very effective matter in the final act of his first solo movie — using it to save the world from Kaecilius’ attempts to bring Dormammu and the Dark Dimension to Earth
Who will defeat Thanos? Ironman, Hulk, Captain america or Thor? Or will they all die? Find out on 27th April as Avengers Infinity War releases on 27th April in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.